Asparagus with Parmesan and Lemon
This quick and delicious asparagus recipe was provided by Jake and Chelsea Davis of the Root Cellar in Columbia, MO.
Write a review
- 1 bunch of medium-sized asparagus, about 1 lb.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (freshly grated lemon rind)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the asparagus by rinsing them thoroughly, breaking off any tough, white bottoms and discarding them. Cut into 1- to 2-inch sections, slicing the asparagus at a slight diagonal.
- Fill a medium-sized saucepan halfway with water, then bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and reduce heat slightly to a simmer. Parboil the asparagus for exactly 2 minutes.
- Drain the hot water. While the asparagus is still hot, toss in a bowl with the olive oil, Parmesan, and lemon rind. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Jake and Chelsea Davis can be found at the Cultivation Station at the North Village Art District's Farmers and Artisans Market in Columbia, MO about once a month, demonstrating easy ways to prepare seasonal produce.
- (Originally published June 9, 2013)
MO Deep Roots http://www.modeeproots.com/